Carbon Wheels and Bike Tunes

Rob Dickson

All,

Since losing my corporate job several years ago, I began working in the bicycle industry to make ends meet. I am passionate about cycling and all things cycling related and hence have remained in the business despite the significantly reduced pay.

With that said I am going to be building wheels and doing bike tunes out of my house. Wheel building is one of the procedures I enjoy most especially when I have the opportunity to custom build a wheelset for a customer’s specific requirement.

I have done a considerable amount research in regards to rim selection inclusive of aerodynamic performance, quality, and reputation amongst wheel builders. Below are details of my findings

Wheel builds components:

·      Rims will be from Light Bicycle (https://www.lightbicycle.com) and available in an assortment of configurations for road and gravel usage. Wheels will be tubeless compatible, have hooked beads and tubeless tape installed (tubeless tape functions as a rim strip if using standard tubes). Spoke count will be 24/24 or 24/28 and laced 2X. Rim depths can be mixed if desired.

·      Hubs. DT Swiss 350’s will be my go to for quality, cost, serviceability and ease of conversion to different axle standards. Other hubs are available including DT 240’s, I9, Novatec and Bitex .

·      Spokes will be bladed from Sapim (C Xray) or Pillar

·      Nipples will be black brass and external

·      Cassette, rotor (if applicable) and tube/tire will be installed as part of the process. Tubeless set up can be discussed.

Pricing:

Price will vary based on configuration but below is an example for reference.

Falcon Pro AR55 Rims

DT 350 Hubs

Sapim CX Ray Spokes

Brass Nipples

$850.00 per set.

Bike Tunes $55.00

Includes:

·      Light cleaning of frame and inspection

·      Headset inspected and adjusted

·      Brakes inspected and adjusted

·      Adjustment of hubs

·      Lateral wheel true

·      Rear derailleur adjustment (includes hanger alignment as there is not much reason to adjust an RD if the hanger is not straight)

·      Front derailleur adjustment

·      Cable inspection and lubrication.

·      Bottom bracket/crank adjustment

·      Chain inspection and lubrication

·      Pedals torqued

·      Seat tube greased or application of carbon paste if appropriate. Clamp bolt torqued

·      Stem bolts torqued

Bike builds and component upgrades and other procedures are also welcome.

Regards

Rob