Topics

Group rides - input needed

David Bergen

I’m looking to start a discussion on group rides.

Cancel completely?

How do you maintain proper social distancing when you are breathing the exhaust of the rider in front of you?

What is a safe distance?

Groups of 4 riders at a time?

What are the pro’s doing? Other clubs?

Organize time trials with a 1 minute spacing?

Cross winds vs. head or tail winds?

Input needed

Ron Vargo

Dave,

You ask good questions and I have been following many other forums on this same topic and they have the same questions.  The 1 minute spacing seems to be the most talked about as long as the group can keep a consistent pace.   The folks on GCN tried to address this on their YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT54W7UGs2E

I am still sequestered in Michigan since my brothers passing, taking care of Mom, so best to everyone coming up with a plan.  I plan on being back on the bike and zwift in April.

-Ron

I’m looking to start a discussion on group rides.

Cancel completely?

How do you maintain proper social distancing when you are breathing the exhaust of the rider in front of you?

What is a safe distance?

Groups of 4 riders at a time?

What are the pro’s doing? Other clubs?

Organize time trials with a 1 minute spacing?

Cross winds vs. head or tail winds?

Input needed

Carol Curtis

Thanks for that valuable information AND so sorry for your loss.
Carol

[...]

Rob Dickson

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020, 8:09 AM David Bergen <davidb@...> wrote:

I’m looking to start a discussion on group rides.

Cancel completely?

How do you maintain proper social distancing when you are breathing the exhaust of the rider in front of you?

What is a safe distance?

Groups of 4 riders at a time?

What are the pro’s doing? Other clubs?

Organize time trials with a 1 minute spacing?

Cross winds vs. head or tail winds?

Input needed

Rob Dickson

Dave,
  • Wheelmen have cancelled all rides until further notice. Ride calendar clear through April
  • Zwift Meetup is a viable option. We had a good group with Tom C this past Sunday
I have no issue riding with a normal size BBC group providing we be cautionary:
  1. No snot rockets
  2. If you need to cough or sneeze, pull out of the paceline.
  3. If you think you may be compromised.....just don't show up
Rob

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 8:09 AM David Bergen <davidb@...> wrote:

I’m looking to start a discussion on group rides.

Cancel completely?

How do you maintain proper social distancing when you are breathing the exhaust of the rider in front of you?

What is a safe distance?

Groups of 4 riders at a time?

What are the pro’s doing? Other clubs?

Organize time trials with a 1 minute spacing?

Cross winds vs. head or tail winds?

Input needed

Carol Curtis

I agree! Thanks Rob!

On Mar 24, 2020, at 9:19 AM, Rob Dickson <rdickson33@...> wrote:

[...]

Sheri Rosenbaum

BCLC, Elmhurst, Arlington and meet up cycling groups have suspended their rides. The USA Cycling issued a statement

Should you avoid riding in groups?

Yes. And, as of March 18, USA Cycling has recommended races and other gatherings, such as races and group rides be canceled or postponed and is suspending permits on all events through May 3.

You can read the full press release in this article https://www.bicycling.com/news/a31469228/cycling-during-coronavirus/

Note that the medical community is still learning about this deadly virus on a daily basis. Recently they found the virus can stay suspended in air much longer than originally thought. My advice is not to ride in groups unless from the same household. Do solo rides and virtual rides instead. Even if you don't show symptoms, you can be a carrier and contagious.

My two cents.

[...]

tinasmith7934

Hi BBC,
Thanks for the email Dave. I started thinking about this yesterday.

I have personally decided to not ride with a group until May 1st, then I will re-evaluate.  If something drastically changes, I will re-evaluate sooner.

I don't want to be in a large group especially since Illinois has a shelter in place order. I don't want to be on the receiving end of an angry motorist who thinks we should be sheltering in place vs riding our bikes in a group.  And, heaven forbid, if a crash occurs, I don't want to over burden our 1st responders and health care workers at this time-they have enough on their plates.

This is just my own strategy.  No judgement regarding others' choices. Until I change my mind I will be Zwifting. I'm sick of my basement but I'm trying to do my part.

I miss everyone and hope we can salvage some of our outdoor season. Please stay safe and healthy.

Tina

David Holtermann

I don't have anything to share from a medical perspective, but strictly on the basis of social perceptions I urge that any group rides be very small and very low key. We all know that bicyclists are picked on (unfairly) in the best of times - for slowing traffic, for taking up space, for flouting the law. If bicyclists are seen congregating and riding in groups in apparent contradiction of stay-at-home orders, etc, we're only going to reinforce the worst perceptions of us. My two cents.

David

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:24 AM Carol Curtis via Groups.Io <SpinAholic=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Jason Krueger

I’m with the isolators on this one.  My industry has been deemed “essential" and so I'll be out in the world for a couple more weeks at least.  I wouldn't want to risk exposing anyone I know to this, so I'll be in the basement on the trainer.

Zwift group rides are a nice distraction, I vote we keep a few of those on the schedule just so we all stay in touch with each other, and have something to look forward to.

Hopefully not more than a few more weeks of this, and we can get back outside.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 09:19, Rob Dickson <rdickson33@...> wrote:

[...]

Anna Swiet

Hi Everyone,
I think it's best to be cautious right now and obviously everyone should make their own choices
We can wait a few weeks to see each other's smiling faces.
Personally, I will ride solo as circumstance allows (which is not often) or with no more than 1 other rider kept at a distance.
The riding parties can commence when it's safe.

Stay well my friends

Anna

On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 08:09:32 AM CDT, David Bergen <davidb@...> wrote:

I’m looking to start a discussion on group rides.

Cancel completely?

How do you maintain proper social distancing when you are breathing the exhaust of the rider in front of you?

What is a safe distance?

Groups of 4 riders at a time?

What are the pro’s doing? Other clubs?

Organize time trials with a 1 minute spacing?

Cross winds vs. head or tail winds?

Input needed

Lena Chon

Dave,

Is it possible to reformat how we ride?

   So maybe we stay in pods of 2-4 people.  Let’s say 8 of us shows up to a ride, that’s 2-3 pods.  All of us are familiar with club routes, and if someone does not know the route, they better make sure someone in the pod knows the way. As long as we are within sight. It’s good.  And when we pull up at light or stop sign DON’T congregate.

  In regards to spitting and blowing your nose... rather than pulling out to far left, the person needs to go to the end, then do there business. Just like rotating the pace line.  You CAN’T  come in mid pace line because any moisture droplets that lands on your body is still traveling and it could get blown on to the person that you just cut in front off.

Any individual who comes out to ride, they have to be well and no one in their household is sick with cold, and or Corona virus.

Trigger words...DISTANCE, if a fellow rider shouts this out, please be respectful and just check yourself. Don’t take it personal.

These options may not keep the group as tight like before.  The pace  may be a little less, may not. But we get to ride and see each other.

Missing you all,
Lena

from my iPhone

On Mar 24, 2020, at 8:09 AM, David Bergen <DavidB@...> wrote:

I’m looking to start a discussion on group rides.

Cancel completely?

How do you maintain proper social distancing when you are breathing the exhaust of the rider in front of you?

What is a safe distance?

Groups of 4 riders at a time?

What are the pro’s doing? Other clubs?

Organize time trials with a 1 minute spacing?

Cross winds vs. head or tail winds?

Input needed

Tom Cramer

I’m very sorry for the loss of your brother Ron, I went thru that years ago it’s not something you get over! My condolences to you and your family.

I agree with Anna, Jason, Davis and Tina.

I have been in my home for a week now trying to do my part, but like you all am dying to go on a nice outdoor ride thru the hills.

I have watched the YouTube link that Ron posted along with another one on the subject which both brought up the good points of not only the sweat or the snot rockets, but if there is a crash that involves us going to the hospital would not be a good thing.

The comment about how the bicyclist haters also brings up a good point, we don’t want to fuel the hate with seeing a big pack of us out there less than 6 feet apart.

I will most likely go on some careful solo rides and will try and setup some more Zwift Group rides until the Stay at Home order is lifted.

Tom Cramer

[...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The content of this message and any files transmitted with it is a confidential and proprietary business communication, which is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Any use, distribution, duplication or disclosure by any other person or entity is strictly prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient or this has been received in error, please notify the sender and immediately delete all copies of this communication.

Mariann Leahy

Agree with others and unfortunately people are extremely overwhelmed and not thinking clearly. My good friend was accosted while talking a walk in her neighborhood this weekend for not staying home
So please be vigilant with whatever decision you make

Dr Mariann Leahy

[...]

David Saporta

A lot of good thoughts.  I think "pods" of 2 are best.  Keeping the "distance" and going to the back to spit, etc. gets cumbersome even with 4 people.  I've tried it.  I still think having BBC organize times to ride gets everyone out and exercising which is half the battle sometimes.  If an odd number shows up then one pod can have 3.  Even if you skip all "group" rides, I still think it's safer to ride with at least one other person rather than solo in case of a fall, flat tire, etc.  Of course, if you have any ill symptoms or anyone you have been around does, don't show up.

[...]

John Guido

Ron, I’m so sorry to hear about your brother. Stay strong with your mother.

I’m will ride inside away from everyone ( I did reactivate Zwift to ride with the bunch Sunday- it was fun) and when we can go outside when it’s warmer-solo, until we are advised otherwise and know more.

Be safe everyone.

Cheers.

John

On Mar 24, 2020, at 10:32 AM, Mariann Leahy <drlehwc@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike McGehee (PBM)

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 8:48 AM, Rob Dickson
<rdickson33@...> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020, 8:09 AM David Bergen <davidb@...> wrote:

I’m looking to start a discussion on group rides.

Cancel completely?

How do you maintain proper social distancing when you are breathing the exhaust of the rider in front of you?

What is a safe distance?

Groups of 4 riders at a time?

What are the pro’s doing? Other clubs?

Organize time trials with a 1 minute spacing?

Cross winds vs. head or tail winds?

Input needed

Mike McGehee (PBM)

All,

I believe group rides should be cancelled due all the various reasons cited.

I question even riding alone or with your significant other only due to the inherent risk of cycling and sometimes unfortunate things happen. i.e when I broke my arm last year I was riding alone.

I think the last place anyone of us want to be is in a hospital unless it's necessary or our job.

Yes it's a large price to pay. But for the greater good the right decision.

Regards,
PBM

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:40 AM, Sheri Rosenbaum
<Luv2Bike80@...> wrote:
[...]

Bicycle Club of Lake County has cancelled rides through 4/6