Topics

Need advice on casette

Vijay Nuthulapaty

Hi all,

I am back on zwift trying to get in shape for the outdoor season. I currently have a 12/25 10-speed cassette (SRAM) and I feel like it might be too aggressive for me. I am working on keeping my cadence up, and when I hit some of the hills I am unable to keep up my cadence without having to put up higher power numbers.

Looking for any advice on if changing to something like a 12/32 would help or if I should keep this and train around it.

Thanks,

Vijay

Anna Swiet

No reason to torture yourself, get the 32

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 1:15 PM, Vijay Nuthulapaty via Groups.Io
<chicagovijay@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I am back on zwift trying to get in shape for the outdoor season. I currently have a 12/25 10-speed cassette (SRAM) and I feel like it might be too aggressive for me. I am working on keeping my cadence up, and when I hit some of the hills I am unable to keep up my cadence without having to put up higher power numbers.

Looking for any advice on if changing to something like a 12/32 would help or if I should keep this and train around it.

Thanks,

Vijay

John Guido

Consider compact chainrings too, if you don’t already have them.

On Jan 11, 2020, at 1:16 PM, Anna Swiet via Groups.Io <annaswiet@...> wrote:

No reason to torture yourself, get the 32

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 1:15 PM, Vijay Nuthulapaty via Groups.Io
Hi all,

I am back on zwift trying to get in shape for the outdoor season. I currently have a 12/25 10-speed cassette (SRAM) and I feel like it might be too aggressive for me. I am working on keeping my cadence up, and when I hit some of the hills I am unable to keep up my cadence without having to put up higher power numbers.

Looking for any advice on if changing to something like a 12/32 would help or if I should keep this and train around it.

Thanks,

Vijay

David Saporta

What chainring size(s) are you running up-front?

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 1:15 PM Vijay Nuthulapaty via Groups.Io <chicagovijay=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

I am back on zwift trying to get in shape for the outdoor season. I currently have a 12/25 10-speed cassette (SRAM) and I feel like it might be too aggressive for me. I am working on keeping my cadence up, and when I hit some of the hills I am unable to keep up my cadence without having to put up higher power numbers.

Looking for any advice on if changing to something like a 12/32 would help or if I should keep this and train around it.

Thanks,

Vijay

Vijay Nuthulapaty

It’s 50/34

Vijay

On Jan 11, 2020, at 2:17 PM, David Saporta <djsaporta@...> wrote:

What chainring size(s) are you running up-front?

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 1:15 PM Vijay Nuthulapaty via Groups.Io <chicagovijay=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

I am back on zwift trying to get in shape for the outdoor season. I currently have a 12/25 10-speed cassette (SRAM) and I feel like it might be too aggressive for me. I am working on keeping my cadence up, and when I hit some of the hills I am unable to keep up my cadence without having to put up higher power numbers.

Looking for any advice on if changing to something like a 12/32 would help or if I should keep this and train around it.

Thanks,

Vijay

David Saporta

Ok, so you're already running a compact set up-front and 12-25 is not considered an "aggressive" cassette in the back.  You can obviously always use the 34 tooth inner ring for hills, etc. which is a pretty small ring.  The issue is that you are on a 10 speed drivetrain (chain, rear derailleur, shifters, cassette...).  Going to a 12-32 with only 10 cogs is going to give you some large gear jumps in the bigger cogs which can be annoying. And really, you probably will never need a 34-32 gear ratio on a road bike in the real world.

That all said, you are using it on a trainer which can feel different than on the road.  More importantly, you should do whatever you want!  There is no "right" or "wrong" here.

Lastly, it's possible you also could have a calibration issue with your trainer (or improper tire pressure) if it is difficult to keep your cadence up in the small ring.  Not sure what trainer you're using and if it requires routine calibration or requires a rear wheel.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 2:42 PM Vijay Nuthulapaty <chicagovijay@...> wrote:
It’s 50/34

Vijay

On Jan 11, 2020, at 2:17 PM, David Saporta <djsaporta@...> wrote:

What chainring size(s) are you running up-front?

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 1:15 PM Vijay Nuthulapaty via Groups.Io <chicagovijay=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

I am back on zwift trying to get in shape for the outdoor season. I currently have a 12/25 10-speed cassette (SRAM) and I feel like it might be too aggressive for me. I am working on keeping my cadence up, and when I hit some of the hills I am unable to keep up my cadence without having to put up higher power numbers.

Looking for any advice on if changing to something like a 12/32 would help or if I should keep this and train around it.

Thanks,

Vijay

Ruben Medina

Forgive me if we are becoming too many cooks in the kitchen but...

In most cases you can achieve the same watts, or power or speed, by using your 34 and a smaller cog, or your 50 and a bigger cog on the cassette.

At the same level of watts/power/speed; your cadence (rpm's) will be higher with the smaller chainring and lower with the big chainring.

Maybe that will solve your issue. It sounds like you are trying to hit a cadence target while climbing.

Ruben

On Saturday, January 11, 2020, 03:05:07 PM CST, David Saporta <djsaporta@...> wrote:

[...]

Ryan Aydelott

You can always adjust trainer percentage, it’s basically a virtual cassette :  https://zwiftinsider.com/using-the-trainer-difficulty-setting-in-zwift/

On Jan 11, 2020, at 1:15 PM, Vijay Nuthulapaty via Groups.Io <chicagovijay@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I am back on zwift trying to get in shape for the outdoor season. I currently have a 12/25 10-speed cassette (SRAM) and I feel like it might be too aggressive for me. I am working on keeping my cadence up, and when I hit some of the hills I am unable to keep up my cadence without having to put up higher power numbers.

Looking for any advice on if changing to something like a 12/32 would help or if I should keep this and train around it.

Thanks,

Vijay

David Bergen

Another item to consider…Your rear derailleur may not accept a larger cassette. I had to change my Dura-Ace 10 speed derailleur on my old bike to a newer one in order for it to handle an 11-28. Plus you might have to get a longer chain. I would check with your LBS for advice.  You should be good with an 11-28 for this area

David Bergen

[...]

Yup, planning to talk to Village Cyclesport about my options.

Thanks for all the info, learnt quite a bit today..

Vijay

[...]

tinasmith7934

Hi Vijay,
Make sure you let Village know you're a BBC member so you can get your club discount.
Take care. Keep training hard!  Spring is almost here:-)
Tina