Re: Group rides - input needed

David Holtermann

I don't have anything to share from a medical perspective, but strictly on the basis of social perceptions I urge that any group rides be very small and very low key. We all know that bicyclists are picked on (unfairly) in the best of times - for slowing traffic, for taking up space, for flouting the law. If bicyclists are seen congregating and riding in groups in apparent contradiction of stay-at-home orders, etc, we're only going to reinforce the worst perceptions of us. My two cents.

David

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:24 AM Carol Curtis via Groups.Io <SpinAholic=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I agree! Thanks Rob!

On Mar 24, 2020, at 9:19 AM, Rob Dickson <rdickson33@...> wrote:

Dave,
  • Wheelmen have cancelled all rides until further notice. Ride calendar clear through April
  • Zwift Meetup is a viable option. We had a good group with Tom C this past Sunday
I have no issue riding with a normal size BBC group providing we be cautionary:
  1. No snot rockets
  2. If you need to cough or sneeze, pull out of the paceline.
  3. If you think you may be compromised.....just don't show up
Rob

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 8:09 AM David Bergen <davidb@...> wrote:

I’m looking to start a discussion on group rides.

Cancel completely?

How do you maintain proper social distancing when you are breathing the exhaust of the rider in front of you?

What is a safe distance?

Groups of 4 riders at a time?

What are the pro’s doing? Other clubs?

Organize time trials with a 1 minute spacing?

Cross winds vs. head or tail winds?

Input needed